Let’s
start with ISTANBUL, Turkey.
This
was a great opportunity to step outside the UAE and explore another region in
Europe and Asia. Once I stepped out of the airport I was welcomed by a wind
chill which was refreshing. This meant I would have a chance to wear my winter
coat!! I quickly stepped into a taxi and
quickly realized that my driver had no idea how to get to my destination. I had
to show him my map and list of address. This was followed by his multiple
attempts to read a map while driving on the highway.
Not
going to lie, but I was definitely nervous. Luckily he figured out the importance
of pulling to the side of the road to get a better glimpse of the map. After a few minutes we were off to a great
start. I still was not sure of his abilities when he proceeded to roll his
cigarette and ask me for permission to smoke in the car.
The
next part was quite entertaining. He noticed that I was writing on a notepad
and he asked if I was a journalist. Perhaps it was due to a language barrier
but he did not seem to believe that I was just there on vacation. However, he
seemed to get his act together and pointed out landmarks along the main
highway. He spoke a little English and
was very knowledgeable.
Istanbul
is very serene and beautiful and a great break from summer temperatures in Abu
Dhabi. It was even more excited about the potential of rain, which I have not
seen since I left New York. Nonetheless by 3pm (Istanbul time) it was getting
dark outside; the temperature reminded me that packing my red wool coat was a
good investment. In the midst of my winter weather day dream,
the driver told me about a building where Obama had recently attended a conference. It was definitely an entertaining ride
especially since the driver’s terminology included several “ya ya”s, but he
provided door to door service and I arrived to my location just in time to meet
my friends.
Via website called Airbnb I was able to share an apartment with a fellow co-worker and
her close friend. It was a beautiful space located in a popular area of
Istanbul, Taksim Square off of Liva Street. This was home for 5 days.
Navigating
Istanbul
Since
my roommates had already been in Istanbul for 2 days, they were the experts in
figuring out the subway system and tourist landmarks. However, one thing I had
not expected was being one of the few African Americans in the areas we visited.
This became even more evident when we visited the Sultanahmet area. Besides little kids asking to take my
picture, here are a few phrases which I heard:
-Michelle
Obama
-Beyonce
-Mike
Tyson
-Are
you from Africa?
-You
are beautiful
-Chocolate
girl
-Happy
Chocolate girl
-A
guy tapped me as I walked through a group of tourist to say Marhaba..which
means welcome.
-Pretty
woman (even though I had requested Kings of Leon, the band dedicated and serenaded
us with this lovely Roy Orbison tune)
-Lastly
at a restaurant when I went out to eat with a friend from the hostel, one of
the staff members brought out his Iphone and proceeded to join us at the table,
while his coworkers took our picture.
*The approach by the last
two was definitely more subtle and welcoming versus the obvious stares and
questions around town*
In
the Beyoglu and Taksim area it seemed less intrusive probably because it is a
major tourist hub. However, when we went
to the Asian side of Istanbul (across the Bosphorous Strait on eastern side).
There I definitely felt like a fish out of water and the attention was too
much. To the point, that we decided to shorten our field trip and head back to
the mainland (European side).
While
this was an annoying part of the trip, I would still recommend travelling to
Istanbul. Overall, the people we interacted with were welcoming and friendly. It
is an absolute breath taking city. There are many landmarks to see and the food
is phenomenal.
| "Maybe I will be famous" MODA Ice Cream Staff |
The last 2 days of my trip I spent at a hostel on Taksim Square. I utilized that time to catch up on leisure reading and took time to explore the neighborhood and its restaurants. It was a great opportunity to meet other people. One of my favorite interactions happened when I went out to dinner by myself at this café. The first server and bouncer I met barely knew English. They had to call a waiter to help with my dinner order. He happened to know the language very well and helped bridge our gap in communication. However our interactions did not stop there. The server and bouncer decided to utilize Google translator to communicate with me. We had several laughs throughout the night. Never underestimate the power of Google.
Lessons
learned
-Anytime
I told someone I was from Abu Dhabi, they assumed I was rich. So throughout my
journey, I kept making up new locations, which kept our conversations
entertaining*
-Several
hilly streets around Istanbul and no matter the shoes, I was not immune from shin
splints for the first few days.
A
Few Favorites
Imagine what the scene is like during the summer time:)
Next
time: UAE’s 40th Birthday and Christmas Time around Abu Dhabi
No comments:
Post a Comment