A
Night Under the Stars
I helped organize overnight camping/ safari experiences for our students and on a Thursday I went with our sophomore class. Once we arrived on sight, we kicked off the evening with dune bashing. An exhilarating adventure, and this time we had a slight pause as we were passing through the dunes. The SUV got stuck and driver kept trying different maneuvers and no luck. We could even smell the clutch. The 2 interesting moments occurred simultaneously:
I helped organize overnight camping/ safari experiences for our students and on a Thursday I went with our sophomore class. Once we arrived on sight, we kicked off the evening with dune bashing. An exhilarating adventure, and this time we had a slight pause as we were passing through the dunes. The SUV got stuck and driver kept trying different maneuvers and no luck. We could even smell the clutch. The 2 interesting moments occurred simultaneously:
1-the vehicle was on a significant tilt so some of our first instincts would have been to evacuate car; however we were also slightly worried about how to redistribute the weight of 6 people without causing significant impact on the SUV's position.
2-the
camp's manager appears out of nowhere and he helped move the vehicle.
To emphasize the camping company's efficiency and diminish our level of anxiety in the moment, this actually all took place in span of 5 minutes.
To emphasize the camping company's efficiency and diminish our level of anxiety in the moment, this actually all took place in span of 5 minutes.
In
fact for the most part, we were all laughing about our predicament. Behind us
we could see another SUV with our students and we assumed they were also
getting a good laugh.
Hence when I grabbed my camera to document what was happening. Once the smell of the clutch got stronger, that's when we were ready to move on. Luckily, that is about the time our "rescue" arrived.
Hence when I grabbed my camera to document what was happening. Once the smell of the clutch got stronger, that's when we were ready to move on. Luckily, that is about the time our "rescue" arrived.
The rest of the evening was spent:
Getting on a camel for 2nd time. This one seemed more approached partially because it appeared less intimidating but still high above the ground compared to the last one. Also the animal caretaker had a sense of humor so trust was there.
Getting
up-close with this beautiful parakeet which later proceeded to climb up my
shoulder.
Sand
Skiing . At least a version of it. This also included this impromptu photo
shoot before conquering. We climbed the large dune which is featured in the
intro of this blog submission.
Trying
on traditional attire and getting henna done.
Watching
belly dancer perform on main stage.
Waking
up around 6am to this beautiful scene.
Some
of our students slept on the dune overnight and decided to roll down for the
morning.
We
decided to do more sand skiing before we ate breakfast and this is the
beautiful view; getting to the top required several breaks before could settled
down.
However
it was a serene sight from the top. Because of the distance from the top one
may assume that you will move very fast from one point (at the top) to the
bottom. However it requires quite a bit of momentum to pick up speed.
DISCLAIMER: I can only say this now after trying it two times and both times I was
still terrified of the height and potential high speeds. To make it easier I sat on the board to
descend versus stand.
However some of our students were more successful in their journey.
Overall
I had a wonderful time during this overnight camping trip and definitely made a
difference going with a large group of people and we had the sight to ourselves. Our night went well unlike for our first year
student group; they had a different but unique perspective since they had a
snowstorm the following evening around 11pm.
As
we left, we passed this beautiful sight on one of the main roads:
Gravity
Taking Control
Last
semester we had hosted a program for our students which allowed approximately
30 students to partake and enjoy 2 mins of Indoor Skydiving. It was such a
successful program but we didn't get a chance for our RAs to participate. So my
supervisor had a great idea for team bonding and recommended that we host our
own sometime in the spring. Viola! That day finally arrived and 15 of us were
geared up for the experience.
From
my perspective it was not as easy as it could have been. Apparently I could not
relax my body enough to allow for great heights. At least that is what I was
told by my instructor. In exact words "you need to relax". In the
moment I thought I was and I even had tunes running through my head to help me
through the experience. This probably explains the soreness I felt in my back
and joints post flight. Nonetheless, we all had a wonderful time and I would
give it another try. As for "real" outdoor skydiving, I think that
will have to wait. It is nowhere close to my must accomplish list.
Another
look at Ladies Night
This
month was eventful and I was involved in several programs with our students,
including visiting Wild Wadi waterpark in Dubai. It is found close to the Burj
Al Arab and very family friend. For the night which I went it was for a Ladies’
Night. This program was primarily focused on taking female students from our non
visitation floor and later we opened the program to other female students. Besides
being my first time at a water park in the UAE, I was thrilled to be in the company
of our students. We were all delighted to go explore this new experience. Upon arrival, majority of the attendees were
dressed in Abayas
and not surprising (in a good way) it was great to see the water park fashion.
Make up, perfumes, high heels or very classy sandals were in place.
Our
admission pass
Past
the checkout point, I had to turn in my camera, a policy which is I completely
understandable. I was surprised that they let us keep our mobile phones.
Nonetheless I completely understand and respect why this policy is in
place. Once inside it was a “free zone”
inside and one might be tempted to capture the moment. Once inside beyond the
changing rooms, you cannot tell who is from what religion, country etc.
Everyone adorned swim type attire from bikinis, tankinis, fully covered swim
tops and leggings, tank tops, shorts...anything you name it.
I
also appreciated that it was an "any body type is welcome" type of
zone. Young girls, teens, misses, adult women and moms were present. Inside the
park, the only male genders present were young boys from babies, toddlers to
maybe 5-6yr olds. Even all the lifeguards working every station in the park and
people at the cafeterias and food courts were all women. This included the
chefs at the grills.
It was a different vantage point but also best way to highlight the
commonalities between everyone who was present. This is a rare but valuable
perspective about women here. Outside the park’s walls we still share common
attributes as women however one might overlook that since every individual
chooses to express the physical appearance very differently once we are in a
public sphere. Another great way to understand
Ladies Night!
On
the Way Home
Fog
is Back! This probably happens every day around midnight. At 12:30am is the
time when our bus encountered the first phase. It does not seem as heavy as the
one from a few months. Best personal advice, unless you have the patience, possess
excellent driving skill... .take it easy during these late hours especially on
main/only road which connects Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
Ah
Ha I think we have returned to Abu Dhabi; that's if the theory about the
differences between the Emirates is correct. The trees are in sight. Please read below.
Bonus:
As
I was in a car heading to Dubai, a friend told me that one can physically spot
the difference when departing one Emirate to the other .The roads and scenery
change between Abu Dhabi and Dubai. So my curiosity got the best of me.
Abu Dhabi has greenery on its highway and road is a bit darker shade.
Welcome
to Dubai-at least when you first enter the Emirate.
This is by no means a
reflection of what both Emirates have to offer.
It is just an initial observation
as you travel on the highway.
From
a friend’s apartment one can view our new campus in progress
on neighboring
Saadiyat Island.
One
of the best inventions for shoppers.
Next
month I will have some special guests in the UAE.
Might take me longer to
update…we'll see!
No comments:
Post a Comment